Is the Gimp just as good as Photoshop?

Yes, for the average home user, the Gimp is just as good as Photoshop.
The gimp has layers, alpha channels, a robust plugin architecture, I
could go on but they have a pretty good overview of what the Gimp is
capable of at Gimp.org.

Gimp vs. Photoshop
http://grimthing.com/archives/2007/01/11/Gimp_vs_Photoshop/

So, who wins?

I'm about to tell you, geez... don't get your panties in a bunch.

The winner for commercial printing – Photoshop.

The winner for home use – The Gimp.
I feel that the author would have given Gimp success in the commercial
field as well if The Gimp supported CMYK and/or PANTONE.  There is an
example of converting RGB to CMYK in Photoshop and the problems that
creep in.

Just thought I would share.

--
Robin Laing