Gimp wrote:
> I'm trying to avoid buying Photoshop and use the GIMP instead. I need to
> do the technique described at either of the following pages:
>
>    http://tutorialoutpost.com/count/5433
>
> http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=262
>
> Thus I want to use a gradient brush along a path. I tried to do this
> with the GIMP but it doesn't seem to be possible. The GIMP seems to have
> the concept of gradients, brushes, paths, and strokes, but doesn't seem
> to be able to stroke a gradient brush along a path. Strictly speaking,
> there is an option in the GIMP to stroke a path with a brush set to use
> a gradient, but it doesn't do what most users would expect (i.e. what
> Photoshop and Illustrator do) and thus doesn't work. Feel free to
> correct any mistakes or misunderstandings related to the GIMP here.
>
> Question: Is there a way to do the above with the GIMP or do I need to
> shell out $600 for Photoshop?

At first sight, this just looks like a custom brush stroked along a
path. Maybe I'm missing something...

If you are after a neon-glow effect for any selection, I suggest you
look for the Script-fu->Alpha to Logo scripts. There are various scripts
in here to take the alpha channel from a layer and make interesting effects.

Alternatively, you can try using the "Stroke Path" options too (part of
the "Path" tool). Create the path you wish to stroke with any tool.
Then, set the brush you wish to use. Finally, choose "Stroke Path" in
the Path tool options window, select the type of tool
(airbrush/paint/etc.) and click OK.

I also recommend that you take a look at the latest release of Inkscape
if you want to do a lot of this stuff. If your work is intrinsically
vector-like, you may find it a better fit. Take a look at this image,
for example.

http://inkscape.org/screenshots/gallery/inkscape-0.45-3D-rope.png

Cheers,
Toby Haynes