On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:55:41 +0100, Sudheer Satyanarayana
> Can anybody tell me how to remove those white patches and make the image
> neat?

Sure.  Do this (some names may differ, my gimp is norwegian so I have to
translate some things):

1. Load the image into the gimp. Select the color picker tool, or
pen/pencil with ctrl held, and use this to catch the purplish color.
2. Convert the image from indexed to RGB format (Image -> Mode -> RGB).
3. Go to Colors -> Levels, click the third color picker button from the
right at the bottom ("select black point"), click the purplish color. The
logo should now be black. Hit ok.
4. In the layers window, right-click the layer and add a layer mask.
Select grey scale copy of layer in the dialog and make sure "invert mask"
is checked. Click add.
5. Click the leftmost of the two images of the layer in the layer window
to select the image (the other is the mask). Also check the little
checkbox above the layers view, to lock transparency.
6. Switch to the bucket fill tool. In the tool options, select "fill
entire selection". Click the image to fill it with purplish. White patches
are now gone! (But we're not quite finished yet..)
7. Right-click the layer again and select apply layer mask.

You now have an image with alpha transparency. To use the alpha
transparency as is on the web, you'll have to save the image in the png
format, but note that (older?) IE browsers doesn't support alpha
transparency properly. Gif only supports on/off transparency. To get nice
anti-aliasing with that, you'll have to add a background to your logo (add
a new layer filled with your new background color, put it below the logo,
and flatten the image).

Good luck!

~ Gerry