Thank you for continuing to help and explain.
> The script appears complicated because it handles differences in the
> PDB interface between version 2.2 and the development version
Ah, I see. I had to look up "PDB Interface" to know what you're talking
about, but now I get it.

Once version 2.4 is released, and if one were to write the code only to
support 2.4 and later, and not worry about earlier versions, would that
also simplify it down? I'm thinking if that were the case, then I might
wait until 2.4 is out and then get more into scripting. After all, from
what I've read on this mailing list, a 2.4 release seems just a little
ways away.

> (perhaps my comments obfuscated the code as well).

No, comments are good! The more comments the better, I think.

> Personally, I would recommend removing the line that deletes the path
> -- paths take up very little memory and you may wish to go back and
> edit them later.

For what I'm doing, especially considering the volume of coloured areas
I'm working with, I'm unlikely to every really need a path a second time.

But I'm developing a little confidence with the scripts, so that if I
change my mind about that, I think I can easily remove that part of the
script and have a second version that leaves the path there.

Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Pentium D Dual Core Processor
PHP 5, MySQL 5, Apache 2