On 3/8/07, Ed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 March 2007 12:39, Claus Cyrny wrote:
> > 6. The last step would be 'Layer > Colors Apply Layer Mask...'. This
> > will remove the
> > background from the scan, leaving only the text
> Hello Claus,
> Many thanks for your help... I got as far as point '6' but I can't seem to
> find any variant of 'Layer > Colors Apply Layer Mask...'

"Layers Menu" > Apply Layer Mask ( I think).  Check for a little
triangle on the layers dialog - that will give you access to the
Layers menu.

I would tackle your image this way (As Claus pointed out, there's
usually more than one way):

1. Layers Menu -> Add Alpha Channel
2. Select -> By Color -> click on the background
3. CTRL-K or Edit -> Clear

Check the tool options for select by color (step #2) - they have sane
defaults, but you might have to adjust the threshold or feather.