Alex Feldman writes:
> I have limited experience with Gimp, almost all of it with photographs,
> and essentially none with Inkscape.  I want to make some simple maps of
> trails in the area, and mark them with mileages and a few comments.  My
> plan was to download the photographs of the area from Google Earth, put
> a layer over it, and trace out the trails.  Then I can stretch or shrink
> the image and add the decorations and commentary.
> My question is, which is the best tool for this?  Or is there a better
> way to do it than what I am describing?  Thanks for the help.

Since you're starting with a bitmapped image anyway (a satellite
photo), GIMP is fine. Any problems you get from rescaling the trails
will also be problems when rescaling the image, so you wouldn't
get any advantage from using Inkscape.

I've used GIMP to make map overlays: for instance, a topographic map
layer, a trail map (converted from the park's online PDF), and a
geologic map layer (converted from a USGS PDF). Then I can adjust
the transparencies and colors of all the layers depending on which
combination I want to print out for a specific project. It's a lot
of work getting everything scaled just right (it would be so much
easier if this info was all available in open GIS formats that
worked in free mapping software ... maybe some day!) but the results
can be very useful.

    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional":