Julien Michielsen wrote:
> Some time ago I was pointed to Registax, a windows program that runs
> well under wine. With Registax one stacks (stax ;-) a series of almost
> identical images which are composed with a webcam. As far as I under-
> stood the images must be overlapped perfectly. I think this can be done
> with photoshop. Could Gimp achieve this as well?
Hugin can certainly help you align frames perfectly prior to any other
processing with the GIMP.

If you want to get really serious about astrophotography, you might also
check out IRAF which I used when I was doing this stuff using large
telescopes (4m reflector).

Warning: IRAF is not for the faint of heart - the learning curve is
almost vertical! Read the tutorials.

Toby Haynes