Julien Michielsen wrote:
> Some time ago I was pointed to Registax, a windows program that runs
> well under wine. With Registax one stacks (stax ;-) a series of almost
> identical images which are composed with a webcam. As far as I under-
> stood the images must be overlapped perfectly. I think this can be done
> with photoshop. Could Gimp achieve this as well?

Hugin can certainly help you align frames perfectly prior to any other
processing with the GIMP.

http://hugin.sf.net/

If you want to get really serious about astrophotography, you might also
check out IRAF which I used when I was doing this stuff using large
telescopes (4m reflector).

http://iraf.noao.edu/

Warning: IRAF is not for the faint of heart - the learning curve is
almost vertical! Read the tutorials.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes