On Mon, 07 May 2007 13:39:02 -0500, Seb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How does one learn about basic image file properties like size and
> resolution in general.  I found an old thread here where the exif filter
> was mentioned, but I don't see this among the options in my Debian
> unstable gimp package.  In any case, IIUC, this would only work for jpeg,
> not for other formats.  Any pointers appreciated.

You can start with this:

Or the Encyclopedia of Graphics File Formats, if you can find it:

Or you can try "Graphics File Formats, Reference and Guide", Brown and
Shepherd (Manning Plublications), which is the one I started with though
I'm not sure if it's still in print:

Hope that helps.
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://graphics-muse.org
Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.