In order to change the "gimp-comment" you must change a parasite that is
attached to the image. The following code defines a function that will
set the 'gimp-comment' parasite to the passed string. (Note: I don't
have access to the GIMP right now, so I haven't tested it; though I
think it will work.)

Include the function definition in your file (I recommend inserting it
right after the '(define (batch-test pattern)' line) and replace your

(set! gimp-comment "Some Test Text")

with

(add-comment image "Some Test Text")

;;----------------------------------------------------------
;; 'add-comment' attaches "gimp-comment" parasite to 'image'
;;               with the value of the passed 'string'
;;
   (define (add-comment image string)
     (*catch 'errobj
       (gimp-image-parasite-find image "gimp-comment")
       (if (not (null? errobj))
         (gimp-image-parasite-detach image "gimp-comment")
         )
       )
     (gimp-image-parasite-attach (list "gimp-comment"
                                        3
                                        (bytes-append string)))
     )