I'm using 2.3.18 (and i was using the development version since 2.3.9
) and the only time gimp crashed was when i had 256MB ram and tried to
manipulate huge (a 80MB xcf file is quite huge) images. However this
isn't as much a gimp problem as hadware one.

Also consider that the 2.3 series are in development branch which
brings new features but less bug fixes. Try using the stable 2.2
version if you esteem that gimp hangs up too often.