On Tuesday 14 August 2007, John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Chris Mohler wrote:
> > On 8/7/07, Bhavin Suthar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Can someone tell me the truth behind this? Does this also mean
> > > that if you write text on image (like your jpeg Canon photos)
> > > then they can't be printed properly?
> >
> > Point #1 is almost accurate.  The true part: GIMP does not natively
> > support CMYK yet.  It will in time, and there is a plug-in if you
> > truly need CMYK separations.  The false part: you can't use GIMP to
> > prepare for printing.  You certainly can, but be aware of the
> > RGB->CMYK translation process - eg, there is no way to print the
> > color #0000FF in CMYK.
> >
> > Point #2 is pretty much FUD.  I occasionally convert something to
> > CMYK in PS just to check the shift, but if you are a "graphics
> > professional" [sic] you should already be aware of the RGB colors
> > that exist outside of CMYK color space and avoid them.  A cheap
> > inkjet printer will show you the result of converting your RGB to
> > CMYK if you really need to know - and this type of proof (a "hard"
> > proof) is more accurate anyway, owing to the fact that all monitors
> > operate on the principal of additive light (hence RGB), and most
> > printers operate on subtractive light (thus CMYK).  A "soft" proof
> > can easily[1] be obtained by using imagemagick[2].
> >
> > Short answer: I doubt you need CMYK.  You certainly won't be
> > prevented from printing your photos by not using it.  Many desktop
> > printers expect RGB input these days[3].
> >
> > Chris
>
> I would expect that flesh tones would give the most trouble in
> converting from RGB to CMYK . Among free software programs Krita,
> TeX, Cinepaint  and Scribus handle CMYK natively, and all but TeX can
> use ICC color profiles.  Gimp and Inkscape don't yet, and that limits
> their acceptablity in the publishing world despite their other
> excellent features.  Book designers want CMYK plus ICC profiles and
> won't consider a product that lacks that capability for color work.
>
> The free programs listed above that most closely approximate Gimp are
> Cinepaint (a Gimp offshoot0, and Krita.  But neither has the range of
> other features offered by Gimp.  and Krita only runs under the KDE
> desktop found on many Linux systems.

KDE Libraries, not desktop. You do not have to run the desktop actively to use
the program. Please be clear about that, or you will be spreading misinfo.

Krita is great, and going to be amazing, but right now, it fails on the
basics. The developer is incredible, but has worked on some very high-end
functionality, but not so much on the basic stuff like workflow, GUI design,
ease of use and basic tools. He's working mostly alone, so it's
understandable.