---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: carol irvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sep 28, 2007 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP vs Photoshop UI
To: gimp_user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This makes total sense to me.  If you work for ad agencies, for example,
everyone will want to be using
the same set of tools and not converting anything.  I am not with an ad
agency so it doesn't affect me.  I use both Photoshop and Gimp for my own
projects which no one else works on.  My motivation in learning Gimp is
totally financial.  I am switching myself to open source programs whenever I
can to save money.  It is no more complex than that.  I've got just about
everything else covered via open source but for the image editing.

I'm glad someone brought up this floating selection dilemma.  I will relate
my experience with it in a separate email.

carol (new member)

On 9/28/07, gimp_user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 September 2007 08:00:45 George Farris wrote:
> > --- gimp_user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > ...[GIMP] does not have an interface that makes for an easy user
> > > transition from the industry PS standard it is not a tool that is
> > > ready for adoption by high quality image makers.
> >
> > FUD your conclusion is only valid for yourself and not others so your
> > statement is false.  You can't speak for me and I don't agree with you
> > so...  If you can provide hard data that backs this up with numbers well
> > that might be a different story but it would have to be global figures.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> I would rather you did not chop extracts from the whole of my text and
> thereby
> portray a misleading impression of a theme referencing multiple strands.
> The
> difficulty that idividuals face in  switiching from one software interface
> another naturally varies from individual to individual. But that is no way
>
> intended to be interpreted as the core of my contribution.
>
> My original posting  was intended to draw attention to multiple layers of
> reality that contribute to professional decision  about software choices
> that
> go well beyond costs of acquirement. Recruitment is based upon assessment
> of
> levels of experience and known skills. Someone who says "Well I know Gimp
> but
> I am  sure I could adapt to photoshop" is going to face an uphill struggle
>
> convincing an agency that he has all the right skills. His statement would
> be
> taken as evidence of not understanding the role of an individual
> contributor
> in a complex supply chain.
>
> While the absence of a recognised skill transition route ( i.e. no skin
> similar
> to PS) is a serious obstacle affecting the ability  of multiple
> individuals
> to collaborate in a supply chain comprising multiple organisations it is
> far
> from being the only reason while Gimp is not currently in a position to
> seriously challenge PS.
>
> By selective quoting you leave out the substance of an argument which was
> never intended to apply to a lone worker. So your objection that it does
> not
> apply to you, as an individual, is totally irrelevant. It also suggest to
> me
> that you have not carefully read and understood the theme.
>
> What I would like to see is gimp competing, in the industry supply chain,
> on
> at least equal terms with PS and that cannot happen overnight. It would be
>
> foolish to suggest that that could be achieved by simply having a GUI that
> makes for an easy transition. PS has to be considered not just as a tool
> for
> [...]

carol

--
carol