Konstantin Svist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said on Oct 04, 2007 15:54 -0400 (in part):
Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> There is an amazing video describing an image resizing algorithm that
>> removes (or adds) pixels based upon their importance to the subjecto
>> of the photo. Can this be implemented in The Gimp?
>>
> Of course it can be implemented in GIMP. It just takes someone with the time > and ability to write the code for a plug-in that implements the algorithm. >
I don't think the one you point to below is the same as Liquid Resizer
(see http://schumaml.gmxhome.de/downloads/gimp/ and d/l http://schumaml.gmxhome.de/downloads/gimp/gimp-lqr-plugin-0.1.3.zip for it).

Looks like someone has implemented it already:
http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=5479
http://zinx.xmms.org/colorize/

Trying to compile the supporting libraries.. it's a PITA, unfortunately.
I hope you succeed - the colorizer looks like it would be a lot of fun to play with. From the Readme there, here is a pdf and an abstract from the algorithm author:

   * http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alevin/papers/colorization-siggraph04.pdf
   * http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~yweiss/Colorization/

Popping up to his home page it looks like he's done a lot of interesting "stuff":
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~yweiss/

If you succeed would you be generating for Win32 platform? (hopefully :-) )

Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail