Am Freitag, den 12.10.2007, 09:10 -0700 schrieb Konstantin Svist:
> Rolf Steinort wrote:
> > ... and I use this chance to shamelessly plug my tutorial video about
> > the liquid resize plugin for the Gimp: http://meetthegimp.org/?p=60
> >
> > Why use some Flash if you can do it in the Gimp?  ;-)
> >

> Indeed :)
>
> Very nice tutorial, Rolf!
> However, I think you must've made some mistake when resizing to double
> the width. If you didn't notice, the plugin doesn't get rid of the cows
> you marked in the "loose" layer - that's because these markings are only
> *hints* for the algorithm.

I didn't expect the cow to vanish - this happens only if you shrink the
image. But I expected to get a "stretch cow" (got it) and to keep the
others. They were stretched too, but less.

> I'm not sure what it would do when you give
> it info to remove and ask to scale up at the same time..

The content of the "to be discarded" part of the image is set to the
lowest energy and so expanded most likely.

> Also, try enabling recalculation of energy after every step (it's a
> checkbox in advanced options). This should allow you to double the size
> of the image.

Yes, I overlooked that option. :-(

I made another blunder by overestimating the run time on large images.
It scales much friendlier than I feared - I had a problem with my
machine during testing this stuff for the show.

> Oh, one last thing - where did you get that using white vs. black
> changes the intensity? I didn't see it on the plugin info page..

It's on the help page.

/usr/local/share/gimp-lqr-plugin/help/en/index.html

--------------------- quote ------------------
In the Feature preservation selection section it is possible to specify
if there are regions of the image which should be preserved from
modification, by checking the Activate feature preservation box, and by
choosing a layer among the ones which belong to the current image
(different from the active one, which is to be rescaled) in the
Available layers menu.
The intensity of the effect on each pixel is obtained as the average on
the pixel's channels, including the alpha channel. Thus for an RGB layer
with an alpha channel, the maximum value is achieved on white pixels,
while black ones are worth one quarter of the white ones and transparent
pixels are ignored.

Oh, BTW, a viewer informed me, that the plugin compiles under Mac OS
without problems - there are just no binaries floating around.

Rolf