There should be no white in the resulting image. When you decompose to
RGB ("Colors->Components->Decompose"), you end up with a grayscale
image with three layers -- one each for the red, green, and blue

When you add the layermasks, you are basically making the the black
parts of the layers transparent and the white parts opaque. When you
fill the layer with black, you convert the opaque parts to black.

The end result is a layer consisting of black parts and transparent
parts (your lithographic negative). There should be no white in your

Perhaps you could describe the steps you are taking which produced an
overlay of white and black squares?