Alex,

All clear.

Thanks for the rpm -q output. Exactly the same like on my box.

Further analysis revealed:
The problem is, that Gimp 2.4.1 tries to convert existing .gimp-2.2
resp. .gimp-2.3 directories to .gimp-2.4. This doesn't seem to be
perfect. My guess (just a guess !): the templates aren't converted
properly, that's why it fails when trying to open a new canvas with
"File->New".

Removing all pre-existing .gimp-2.2 and .gimp-2.3 directories and
letting Gimp create a brand-new .gimp-2.4 directory makes the problem
disappearing.

My configure options are the defaults (incl. python), except that
I've chosen another --prefix.

Kind regards,
  Stephan.