Hi everybody!

some days ago I decided to improve my basic knowledge about The GIMP. I
installed the version and I've been studying the manual  at
http://docs.gimp.org. I've got a difficult and I cannot handle it, could
someone help me? I met the problem at chapter 5.2
(http://docs.gimp.org/en/ch03s05s02.html): it's impossible for me to reproduce
the first effect in figure 3.38. I tried and tried to deform the grid using the
Smudge Tool, but I can't obtain the right result! I tried to adjust the rate, I
tried to flag the Hard edge... nothing! I can't reproduce the nice effect like
in the example. Actually, I can't understand what the example means for "low
spacing" because I can't find an option called "spacing" among options of
Smudge Tool in GIMP 2.4.1

Thanks in advance for your advices and for your patient with my English,