I am trying to use color management under gimp 2.4.  Despite numerous
google searches and posting to the gimp user group forum, I've been
unable to find any useful documentation about how to use it.   Through
trial and error and many hours fumbling around, I've managed to decipher
much of it, but I'm still unclear on some points.

How to  use the display profile was fairly clear.   Profiles for input
files was very murky, but I eventually worked out what was happening
there.   One confusing thing was that if you specify in
Preferences>Color Management that gimp Keep the embedded profile, the
same thing happens---i.e. no indication---if that profile is the same as
the default sRGB profile or if there is no embedded profile, so you
can't tell at that point whether or not the source file had one.  With
some searching I eventually found a couple of other places where that
information is provided.  I don't suppose it really makes any
difference, but it was thoroughly confusing to me.

I think I understand generally how to do print simulation, but some
points are unclear.  Under Preferences>Color management>Print simulation
profile I specify a printer profile, and I then choose Mode of operation
to be Print simulation.  If I check the Mark out of gamut box, then it
shows me colors that are not printable.  If I don't check that box, I
see various colors and I'm assuming that these are roughly the colors as
they will be printed.   That of course depends on the rendering intent
which together with the profile should determine how colors are
transformed so that everything ends up in gamut.

Have I got that right so far?

One thing that confuses me is that I can either choose Color managed
display or Print simulation as the Mode of operation, but not both.  It
doesn't seem to make sense for print simulation to ignore the display
profile, but perhaps I am not understanding something.

I am completely at sea about how I use the print profile to actually
print.  Do I set the mode of operation to print simulation and then
choose print from the file menu?   Or do I put the print profile in the
RGB profile slot and then print?  Or is this as yet unavailable and
dependent upon adding profile capability to gimp print or gutenberg?

Finally, I am unclear where else in various gimp menus and tools, color
management shows up either in making choices or in providing
information. If there is any other useful information about gimp color
management that anyone can provide, I would appreciate it.
Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University