The few times I have used custom brushes were for creating textures for the
game BZFlag.
I modeled a pine tree and used a custom brush I made for the pine-needles on
the tree.  I
also did the same thing for a palm tree I created.  For me, most of the time,
the default
Gimp brushes are more than sufficient.

The only other custom brushes I have fiddled around with were some experiments
in using
GAP to make image pipe brushes.  I made one that followed the movement of the
mouse and
rotated the brush to approximate the direction the mouse was moving in as you
brushed.  I
also made one in 2.2 that simulated "jitter" before 2.4 came out.