Thanks for the reply, Elwin.
Digikam does a great job of allowing you to pick
* Film Type (Agfa Pan 100, Kodak Tri-X, etc.)
* Lens Filters (Red, Orange, Blue, etc.)
* Tone (Sepia, Selenium, Platinum)
It does this by showing a thumbnail of what your image would look like with the parameter applied. See
http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/photographic-editing.html#blackandwhite-conversion
for a good description of how it works. Warning: this page has LOTS of images, so it will take a while to load.

I use the Digikam editor for a lot of photos that don't need much work, but when I need to call up Gimp, I'd like to be able to have this ease of use. The Digikam tool is the type of plugin I was hoping to find. The techniques you referenced are indeed good to have in one's arsenal, but the majority of time a good image can be made using the simpler method :-)

Paul

Elwin Estle wrote:
Would this do what you want?

http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/Color2BW/

--- Paul Waldo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking for a plugin that will help me convert a color image to
Black and White.  I have looked at the Plugin Registry and found a
couple that do this, but they are not interactive.  I would like to see
for example, the difference between a yellow filter and a red filter
are, and toggle back and forth between them.  Is there anything out
there that will do that?  Did I just miss it in the registry?  Thanks in
advance!

Paul