On Jan 30, 2008 3:47 AM, Michael J. Hammel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:11:00 +0800, Zhang Weiwu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I wish to achieve the effect to add a deep pucker on the skin, as of
> > the bone is broken underneath the sking or there is a joint underneath.
> > Or should I use the word "wrinkle" or "crinkle", I am not sure. I am a
> > new gimp user who just managed to learn conceptual things like layers,
> > path, selection, mask and channel, and now I don't know where to start
> > to read if I wish to get it done.
>
> This is accomplished by adding wrinkles to the skin.  To do this, you
> create your skin layer first.  Then add a layer on top of that and fill
> it with the shading for the wrinkles.  Shading (also known as shadow
> maps) is always done with a layer that is desaturated.  The shading
> layer is then blended with the layer below using one of the layer blend
> modes, often Grain Merge, Multiply or Overlay though others may work
> better depending on the skin texture.
I must disagree -- for something with multiple color layers, like
skin, it generally looks better to use some coloration in order to
make the shadows (for example, with Grain merge and the sample picture
provided, I might use a mild reddish-pink tint. Though I admit this is
mainly effective when you draw the shadows cumulatively (eg. as a
repeated application of this reddish-pink with Grain Merge drawing
mode to a layer originally filled with RGB 128,128,128).