On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 00:11 +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:
> Hi Leonard,
> Am 09.02.2008 um 17:58 schrieb Leonard Evens:
> > On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 03:06 +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

> >> and please, don't hesitate to correct what's written or fill the
> >> gaps.
> >> Everything in there is to my best knowledge but I'm sure it is
> >> neither
> >> completely correct nor are all necessary topics in there yet.
> >>
> > I am attaching a second installment of comments as a text file below.
> > I'm afraid the comments come across just as criticisms, so let me
> > emphasize how much I appreciate what you've already done.  Ideally,
> Since I explicitly asked for it, I should (and do) stand that now ;)
> By now I did not fully examine what you wrote, but I'll do so in the
> next couple of days.
> >
> > rather than just complaining about this or that,  I should suggest
> > how I
> > would phrase it instead.  Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable
> > about
> > writing documentation of this kind yet, so I would rather just raise
> > points and hope you can figure out what I'm saying and include it in
> > the
> > documentation if it seems appropriate.  I'm sure you will do a better
> > job of it than I would at this stage.  When I feel more
> > comfortable,  I
> > will suggest appropriate wording.
> Well, let it put me this way: your english can't be worse than mine.
> Unfortunately there are right now 0 (in words: zero) native speaking
> people in the documentation team - the only reason for me writing
> english content is that there is no alternative :(

Your English is fine.  My concerns about my writing documentation are
more basic than that. I'm worried that were I to write documentation, I
might make it so complicated it would be useless.  It is question of
deciding how to put things so people can understand it easily but aren't
led astray by having things be oversimplified. But give me some time.
I've lots of experience explaining complex matters to generations of
mathematics students, and some of that may carry over.

I would be happy to be the resident native speaker of English.  I
haven't seen any problems of that nature yet, but should I find any,  I
will be happy to correct them.