On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 11:54 -0700, dorai iyer wrote:

> My python script works well when I have it in the image but the image
> area does not allow for detachable menu

Oh, it does. Just use the right-click menu instead of the menubar.

>  hence the question as the active image does nto appear to be apparant
> when you use the toolbox.

Shouldn't make any difference where your script is registered in the
menus. At least not for GIMP 2.4 and if you register your procedure
using the menu parameter. It's probably not going to work if you use the
old-style register() API as that triggers some compat code in the
gimp-python bindings.