i have a working version of that, integrated with similar script that i found
handy
(not merged, integrated to avoid to crowd up the edit menu, from there the
script will be available.

script included

Copy visible & paste as new layer                by Fenceposte
(all  visible is pasted, if is a previous selection is saved and restored)
Copy selected visible and paste as new         by Fenceposte
(only selected is paste )
copy visible and paste as new image             by  PhotoComix
Copy visible and set as active brush               by Fenceposte

By posting here i fear that may be reformatted you may get from here
 is the LAST script  (close to the bottom of page) in a comment of  "PhotoComiX"
http://www.gimpdome.com/index.php?topic=6544.0

if instead you want only that function "of copy the whole visible as new layer"
you may download from here
http://fence-post.deviantart.com/art/Copy-Visible-and-Paste-Script-72552828

Message: 7