The selection tool can work as you want it to too.

You select a region and then commit the selection by pressing the enter key.
Then when you shift-alt-click and drag the selection it will copy it's
contents and move them around. Control-alt-click and drag will cut the
selection and move it (I suppose this is the behaviour you wanded)

People had some problems with these control keys under some desktop
environnements and some distributions so you'll have to try it.