On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:17:44 +0100
Jogchum Reitsma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Now I want to move one of the two lines of text. So I select that
> > layer, make an ellips-selection around the line of text (which is the
> > sole object on that layer; running ants are around the line of text),
> > choose the Move tool and within the Move tool choose Move Selection.

It is not necessary to select anything, and it's not even necessary to
be in the correct layer. If you can see the text, just select the Move
tool, and drag the text, taking care to start the dragging just _on_ the
text (which sometimes is difficult if the text is small). GIMP will
temporarily select the correct layer while dragging.

If you are in another layer, you'll notice that the cursor normally shows
the 'Move mode' but this will switch off while over things in another
layer. This is a good indication that you can start dragggin whatever is
in that layer (the text in your case).