On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 2:10 AM, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>  On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 11:21 +0100, norman wrote:
>  > I have recently started comparing final images with my son where we both
>  > start with the same RAW image. He uses Bibble Pro only, whereas I have
>  > been using UFraw and GIMP. For some reason, which he cannot explain, he
>  > does not like my images mainly from the point of view of colour hence
>  > the comparisons. When I looked with Image Viewer, at the images he had
>  > produced, they were vibrant, sharp and had plenty of punch. However, the
>  > same images opened in GIMP, are washed out, not very sharp and lacking
>  > in punch. This caused me to look further and I found that this
>  > difference applied to all the images I have recently been working with,
>  > good in GIMP exaggerated in Image viewer. Good in Image Viewer, weak in
>  > GIMP.
>  It's quite likely that the Image Viewer and GIMP are handling color
>  management differently. You should check if "Color Managed Display" is
>  enabled in the GIMP preferences and you can use the "Image Properties"
>  dialog to check if there's a color profile attached to your image.
>  Sven

It sounds to me like norman does have color management, but his viewer
either doesn't support it or color management info isn't being saved.
To avoid these kind of problems, I convert the final image to the
NativePC profile available at the following URL:

before trying to display it elsewhere.
This ensures that it will display fairly normally even if there is
some problem with color management.

(of course, it is better to make sure all your tools support color
management. I haven't managed to do this yet.)