On Saturday 12 April 2008, norman wrote:
> I have looked but this does not answer my specific question,
> unfortunately. I cannot believe my question was so obscure that no one
> has been able to answer it yet. Perhaps it is too simple and I am
> missing the point somewhere.
> Norman

Yes, maybe you should rephrase it, I'd thought that you wanted to know methods
to have more control than with one of the straightforward methods:
 - Image->Mode->Grayscale (the whole image will be grayscale, you'd have to
change back to RGB mode to edit with colours again)
 - Colors->Desaturate, which has three predefined modes since GIMP 2.4

If that's not what you want, maybe you should ask again in a different way ;-)