On Saturday 12 April 2008, norman wrote:
> > Yes, maybe you should rephrase it, I'd thought that you wanted to know
> > methods to have more control than with one of the straightforward
> > methods: - Image->Mode->Grayscale (the whole image will be grayscale,
> > you'd have to change back to RGB mode to edit with colours again)
> >  - Colors->Desaturate, which has three predefined modes since GIMP 2.4
> >
> > If that's not what you want, maybe you should ask again in a different
> > way ;-)
> Right, I could explain but, as it is said, a picture is worth a thousand
> words. I was looking at the following and would like to be able to do
> what is described, using GIMP:-
> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/tutorial_pages/elements_2/PSE2_BW.html
> There are 2 things I am puzzled about they are:- how do I create an H/S
> Adjustment Layer and why is the background copy in b&w whereas the layer
> labelled background is in colour as is Background copy 2.
> Norman

There are no such things as adjustment layers in GIMP, but in one of the
future versions, much more powerful tools will be available to allow
non-destructive editing.  You can do pretty much of what's done there though
in different ways as mentioned on the page that Tim gave.  As to why the BG
copy 2 layer in your page is b&w, I best quote that page itself:

"the top layer (Background copy) shows where we did a simple 'remove colour'
and have de-selected the 'eye' so as to hide this layer."

The coloured seem to be effectively desaturated with one of the adjustment