Last attempt...

...of course between the layers that GIMP has and the Channels, I'm sure
that it is not impossible to emulate adjustment layers. You should note that
each layer in the GIMP is fully functional. Some things you can do with them
include applying a filter, like dodge, burn, multiply, or overlay, which
works non-destructively on the entire layer. I'm guessing from your
response, Norman, that none of us were answering correctly, that I didn't
look at the Photoshop tutorial very well that you referenced in your
original question.

Looking at the tutorial more closely, here is what I'd suggest resembles the
tutorial in your first post, but it requires two less layers than the four
given in the tutorial for Photoshop:

1. Load the photo in question
2. Duplicate the "Background" layer by clicking on the Duplicate (or copy
layer) button in the Layers dialog
3. Click on the "Background Copy" layer in the Layers dialog
4. Adjust the Mode for this layer by clicking on the Mode drop-down box and
selecting Hue (near the bottom)
5. Right-click on the image
6. Select Colors > Hue-Saturation...
7. In the Hue-Saturation dialog, move the Saturation slider down (in a
negative direction) until you get the black and white levels you desire.

That's as close as I can get to the same thing. In my opinion the GIMP's is
much more straight-forward - namely have filters on discrete layers, rather
than Photoshop's having a filter stack.

Nathan

I attached a zip archive containing the three images I worked on using the
technique described above. And a fourth that is only slightly desaturated.

I couldn't get these to you, so here are some links to them - they are GIMP
2.4 XCF files, so you'll see all of the layers and such when you load them
in GIMP:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j0gdzitgg2y
http://www.mediafire.com/?xgaipryzm31
http://www.mediafire.com/?pgywazmwgeo
http://www.mediafire.com/?dgzi99gmjos

The original stock photograph used is attributed here:
http://www.sxc.hu/photo/981014

--
Nathan Lane
Home, http://www.nathandelane.com