No problem - I agree with you that using varied procedures to do things
produces a better understanding of the tool as a whole. If education is your
goal, then I think that already, you have learned a large number of options
to convert an image from color to black and white. To get even deeper into
image manipulation, you might try using the selection tools, including the
quick mask (button in lower left-hand corner) to enable working on only a
selection layer, as opposed to the whole image.

Something I also just realized about the Photoshop tutorial you referenced
that might make more sense in GIMP is to use multiple layers as your "image
history". You can use layers in one or two ways in the GIMP. Naturally they
good for distinguishing between parts of an image. For example you might
have one layer containing a field, and a second layer containing a small
house, placed on top of the first layer. Also using layers, you could create
copies of your image as you make changes, in effect creating your own
rudimentary filter stack (like those found in Adobe/Macromedia products.)

At any rate. Keep asking questions. Keep experimenting. The GIMP is one of
the most powerful image manipulation tools in the world. The only thing that
might make it appear less is the lack of pre-programmed plugins, I suppose.
But it incorporates all of the granular functionality of commercial tools
easily, like Photoshop or Illustrator.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:39 AM, norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thank you very much indeed for the comprehensive and interesting way you
> have dealt with my original question. I have no doubt that using layers
> in GIMP coupled with the use of layer masks and curves gives a far
> superior method of converting colour to black & white. However, I do
> like to try as many methods as possible as part of the learning curve.
> Sometimes an old procedure gets over looked simply because it is old.
> Norman

Nathan Lane