Thanks to Elwin and Nathan for the suggestions. I'm happy to do this in
Inkscape and import the results into GIMP but I can't work out how to do it. I
also looked at the curve bend tool in GIMP but it's not quite as precise as I'd
like and it leaves the 'text' looking a bit rough because it converts it to a
raster layer first and then stretches the pixels. I'd like to do this with
paths so that I retain the smooth font edges (and can resize better if I need

I've updated Inkscape to the latest version and am able to make text follow
paths like GIMP does, but I can't work out how to warp/distort the text

Everything I've tried just results in the text being placed along the path
rather than being distorted to fill the shape. I did search for tutorials for
this kind of effect but couldn't find one for Inkscape so any ideas?
Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the