Inkscape has two tools to do this.  There is the new node tweaking tool that
allows you
to sort of "sculpt" the nodes.  Another possibility is node sculpting.  Select
a group of
nodes, then alt-click and alt-drag on it.  It will move and sort of
proportionally drag
other nodes along with it.

And to further muddy the waters, there is another way you could do this,
involving yet a
third open source program, Blender...but you'd be looking at a learning curve
to do it
this way.   You could make some text in Blender (it can use truetype fonts),
then convert
it to a curve (like in Inkscape), then add a lattice modifier and sort of
"sculpt" your
text into the shape you want.  Then do a render and save the render as a png or
jpg and
import it into anothe graphics program for further manipulation.   A much more
complicated process, but gives you the most control.

The text in the animated GIF in this pic was done this way.  Note, it does NOT
have to be
3D.  I just wish Blender could export to .svg.  The only way to do it, is to
import the
render into Inkscape or Gimp and work with it from there.