Have you guys tried the Gimp Animation Package?

Basically in a nut shell, you can split movies into individual frames or
you can combine frames into a single movie. All of Gimp's features can
be applied to the frames.

I have not used it extensively but I have saved all the GAP related
threads on this list over the past year or so and I have fooled around
with it a bit.

-Patrick