Cal wrote:
> What do I need to do, that allows pictures to
> automatically open through GIMP whenever I click on
> them?

I found that a very bad idea, for me will be a nightmare wait Gimp to load
anytime i want open a jpg or a imagine file

But if is that you want is easy
if you use Windows:
you just have to RIGHT click on one of that imagines,as example one of your
jpg, and from the dropdown menu that will pop out click "open with"

You will be prompted to chose a program from a list or chose or from your
programs files

chose gimp-remote.exe NOT gimp exe, or you will open a new instance of gimp for
any imagine you will click

Then if you want associate other kind of imagines (png, tiff,bmp) just repeat
that. with a png a tiff and so on

Now that i explain how to do i will suggest you to DO NOT DO it.
Gimp is a imagine editor, To browse images and apply basic correction to the
whole imagine on the fly is not only a overkill, just is not the right tool.

Something as Xnview, irfanview, and a step below Picasa is what is needed to
browse and if needed to crop, correct contrast,saturation,gamma ,convert to
other file formats ..and more on the fly.

Gimp come in play when,as example, you want correct contrast (saturation
luminosity..) on a SELECTED area of the image, or you need to work with
layers,layermasks,  colours channels, use the clone tool or similar or more
complex tasks

To browse images Gimp is not too handy,
could be adapted for simple batch corrections but that require install extra
plugin or script

Both xnview and irfanview may do batch process out of the box and all basic
correction you may imagine often even in automatic mode.(automatic
contrast,automatic level, equalization....)

Gimp is for more advanced works, can do also that basic things ,of course,but
since are simple things will not do "better" only more slowly(more slowly
working with several images...time will be the same on a single pic,but then
pass to the next to edit will be quite more slow)

What Gimp will do much better is real imagine editing, where may be needed
lmanipulation of layers, layermask,create complex selections,feather
selections...

Alchemie Foto\grafiche