Hi Michael,

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Michael Armida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm getting used to the GIMP analogues to a few different operations I'm
> used to under Photoshop, and having some trouble.  Two questions
> relating to the move tool:
> - I have read about the move tool modes and the ctrl-alt shortcut to
> move a portion of a layer.  I would like to be able to do this and then
> use the keyboard to move the contents of the selection, just like I
> would by dragging the selection with the mouse.

Thanks for the easy question :)

Use the cursor keys to move the layer. Hold Shift to move in larger steps.

> - Once moving a selection, is there a way to make it only move in
> cardinal directions?

Use the keyboard controls only.

Selections can also snap onto grid lines and guides, which may suit your needs.

> Also, if I do need to resort to cutting out a portion of an existing
> layer to reposition it, how do I paste it back in the same spot from
> which it came?  When I cut out a selection and then immediately paste, I
> currently get the floating layer repositioned near the top left of my image.

Use 'Select->Float' instead of (cut, then paste). Then you can move
the floating layer as you desire.