Quoting ChadDavis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I've got a rectangle selection.  Now, I am trying to do a subtractive
> selection within that rectangular selection, to make a sort of picture frame
> selection.  The problem is that I'm having trouble getting the inner,
> substractive selection centered within the first rectangle.

Draw your larger selection and save it to a channel.

Check the "Expand from center" option in the tool's Option dialog and
then click inside the selection to activate the drag handles[*]. Use
the handles to resize your rectangle.

Invert your selection and then intersect it with the previously saved
channel (CTL+SHIFT the red button next to the trashcan in the Channels

[*] Even though the handles might be visible, they are not actually
active after a "Select->Save to channel" is performed (this is
probably a bug).