Okay, I did a further experiment.  I did alpha to selection on the layer.
Saved the selection to a channel.  Flattened the image, then re-added the alpha
channel and used the selection to cut away the white background.

Now, when I save out the image, it works as it should and the filesize is way
smaller.  Still won't do what I want in Blender, but that is another matter.