Elwin Estle wrote:

> Now for the weird part.  If I turn off "use alpha" in the Blender texture
> file options, the entire, original image appears, it's as if the .png file
> was saved out just like the original picture, without any renders cut from
> it, etc.

As far as I know, the alpha channel in both Gimp and png files is
non-premultiplying. (In other words, it's what many people would refer
to as a matte channel rather than an alpha channel.) The colour channels
are not affected by its presence. If you turn it off, the colour is
still there.

--
David Hodson  --  this night wounds time