On Friday 11 July 2008, David Hodson wrote:
> de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
> > I am trying to read and crop a 16-bit png image. The info I get
> > from imagemagick's identify follows below. Once loaded into gimp,
> > the image appears to be a 8-bit. After cropping and saving as
> > png, it turns out to be 8-bit according to imagemagick;s identify
> > (info below).
> >
> > Is there a way to use gimp to read, crop, and save the image with
> > same bit depth?
>
> Not with the current version, no.
>
> > If not, is there an alternative package I could use?
>
> Why not use ImageMagick?
DOH!
Because to  _crop_ a image in ImageMagick, one would have to open it
in a graphic program, measure the points where he wants the crop to
occur, write down the parameters and then issue the command to do so.

Seems a good reason for me.

Valmor, if you need 16bpp you should use either Krita or cinepaint.
(Beware that instaling cinepaint may brake gimp-python scripting
system)

        js
        -><-