On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Kristian Rink wrote:
> Folks;
>
> dealing with python-fu quite a while ago (early gimp 2.2, I guess),
> I haven't dealt with this for quite a while, just to stumble across
> it once again by now, figuring out a few things obviously changed:
>
> - Initially, I used to write up a script, dump it to
> .gimp/plug-ins, start the Gimp and find its procedures using the
> gimp Procedure Browser searching for "python-fu". It's not the case
> anymore now, despite the file being still in .gimp-2.4/plug-ins/
> and being marked executable and the code structure not having
> changed.
>
> - Likewise, I used something like this to register the script with
> The Gimp:
>
> register(
>    ”python_fu_mergesofned”,
>    ”merge picture with a blurred version of itself”,
>    ”merge picture with a blurred version of itself”,
>    ”Kristian Rink”,
>    ”Kristian Rink”,
>
>    ”2005″,
>    ”<Image>/Python-Fu/z428/LayeredSoftness”,
>    ”RGB*,GRAY*”,
>    [],
>    [],
>
>    mergesofned)
>

> ... which obviously doesn't work again as the <Image>/Python-Fu
> menu is gone and I fail to relocate the menu entry elsewhere, no
> matter what I enter as menu path (<Image>/Filters/Python/...
> failed...). What to do here? Is there some pointer outlining how to
> deal with python scripts in Gimp 2.4?

Hi Kristian -

there are no comaptibility changes in python-fu from gimp-2.2 to
gimp-2.4

You should watch the output of GIMP to the terminal to see if any
errors (like a syntax error due to a missplaced punctiation
character) is happening. Otherwise, as you see no "python"
or "python-fu" entrie son you rmenus at all - it looks like you
simply don-ṫ have gimp-python installed for your new gimp. (If ther
eis no python-fu entry under your "xtns" menu on the toolbox, then it
is really not there)

If you are on Linux, just look for a package named "gimp-python" or
similar.

That said, an easy way to find out plug-ins when you don't know where
in the menus they are, is to use the "plug-in browser" (which on 2.4
lives on the "Xtns" menu).

Regards,

        js
        -><-