With gimp 2.4.7 on Windows XP I could open the gimp and then using my keyboard
shortcuts I could  either open a new file, recent file or just take a
screenshot.  In Gimp 2.6 when I open the gimp and try to use keyboard shortcuts
in an empty environment nothing happens.  But if I go to the menu item and
select new, recent file, or screenshot it works.

The only way that I can get keyboard shortcuts to work in gimp 2.6 is I have to
have either a blank (new) image or open an image and then the keyboard
shortcuts will work.  As long as the main window has nothing in it the keyboard
shortcuts will not work.  Am I missing a setting to correct this behavior?