I'm trying to compile gimp 2.6.1 but I first need to
install GEGL. So far I can't get past ./configure:

   checking for GLIB - version >= 2.14.0... no
   *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
   *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
   *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly
   configure: error:
   *** GLIB 2.14.0 or better is required. The latest version of
   *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

The latest GLIB is installed. So I don't see why it isn't being found.