GSR - FR writes:
> Modern fontconfig has /etc/fonts/ dir with config options and where
(and pointing to the README there)

On Debian and Ubuntu, you can probably get the bitmapped X fonts
back by going to /etc/fonts/conf.d, removing the symlink to
../conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf and replacing it with a symlink
to ../conf.avail/70-yes-bitmaps.conf. Depending on the distro,
you might also need to uncomment or comment a section in
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf (I don't see anything relevant in Hardy,
but I remember needing to make a change there in some past versions).

        ...Akkana