On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 13:33 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 19:09 -0800, Akkana Peck wrote:
>
> > Also, run gimp --version from a terminal and compare that to what
> > Help->About tells you.
>
> Both display the same compiled-in version string. So what exactly is the
> purpose of comparing these?

Sometimes things work in mysterious ways.  In this case, the suggestion
induced me to use command mode.  Immediately after `gimp --version'
returned 2.4.1, I tried `which gimp', and that led me to the solution of
the problem.

Thanks again for telling us about the code.  I've tried on numerous
occasions to figure out just what gimp was doing by examining the
source, but I've seldom been successful.

And I apologize again for not having figure out the problem myself
without bothering so many helpful people.