On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 15:01 +0100, Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> In attempt to get better color fidelity when watching, editing and
> printing (not myself) photos from my slr camera, I downloaded from
> manufacturer support site an .icm file for my monitor and I loaded it
> as "monitor profile" in preferences|color management. 'Mode of
> operation' is set to 'color managed display' and 'rgb profile' is set
> to 'none'.
> I'm quite concerned because now jpegs from my camera look brighter and
> less colored (in a wolrd: worse) than before. Since I'm going to edit
> a lot of them, and the result is going to be different whether I'm
> better color accuracy? Should I load icm profile or not?

The display of colors on a monitor depends a lot on the settings
(brightness, contrast, color temperature) of your monitor and also on
ambient lighting. Thus it does not make much sense to use a monitor
profile from the manufacturer. If you are serious about this, you need
to calibrate your monitor in your viewing conditions. You need a
colorimeter to do this.