< snip >

> > I've got a Spyder2 colorimeter, and I have it working under Linux - in
> > my case Suse 10.3 and 11. - have a look at Argyll.
> >
> > Second - A manufacturer profile can be better than just using the
> > monitor as-is, but you get a false feeling of correctness. It can still
> > be far apart from 'reality'.
> I'm sure that's the way to go if you're serious about color
> consistency,  but again
>  my question was: what's best for the casual photographer whose workflow is:
> camera -> gimp editing -> printing in a shop or publish in a web gallery
> I'd better get and use an icm/icc profile or not?

I am a casual photographer and, as far as I am concerned, I am content
to take my images from the camera, convert the raw images using Ufraw
and adjust them with Gimp. My monitor is set in the default setting and
I both print and, from time to time, put an image on a site such as
meetthegimp.org and I have rarely had a complaint about colour. I intend
to try getting a profile for my printer because it seems to me to be
worthwhile trying to control the printing. Perhaps I am not critical
enough.

Norman