On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Bob S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there any way either by scripting or externally to search and replace a
> text string in GIMP.  I have several images that have multiple text layers, I
> would like to have a template image that I can just do a search and replace of
> the text strings to create a new image.  Thanks in advance

Well, I did not really think that this would work, but it did:

I created a file called test.xcf with one text layer containing the word "test".

Then I used this command:
cat test.xcf | sed 's/test/TEST/g' > test2.xcf

And "test" was replaced with "TEST".  Whether or not this method will
work for more complex documents I do not know.  And of course I'm
running linux, so if you are on windows you will need to use another
program (IIRC cygwin has 'sed').

I see in the procedure browser that there are ways for a plugin to get
and select text - so it seems possible to write a plug-in for
find/replace instead.  That would probably be a better method than
"brute force" with sed.

HTH,
Chris