try gimp-remote if you are still using 2.4, maybe.

i meant to ask if you installed from the .deb,
for whatever reason the deb didn't do right for me
and gimp wouldn't recognize raw types.
try from source from the gimp plugin reg.
i found i was missing a few what-not's.

but i still don't know why it opens a scaled
thumbnail in gimp.

gimp 2.6.2; ubuntu 8.04; ufraw 0.14.1