Thank you everyone for your ideas.  I ended up upgrading to Ubuntu 8.1,
which automagically upgraded me to Gimp 2.6.1.  I'll now investigate how to
make the incremental upgrade to 2.6.3 or whatever.

As an aside, I had been running 8.04 LTS.  I didn't realize that the "LTS"
variants would not offer an upgrade to non-LTS versions.  That's why one
computer was running 8.10 but this one was running 8.04.

I do enjoy the 2.6.x flavors of GIMP, despite the shift in interface
paradigms.  I know it is a small thing, but my favorite improvement is the
diagonal line that shows in the curves dialog.  It really does help to let
me know how radical my changes are.  It's such a small thing, but I
appreciate it every day.

Thanks again for your insight and help.